0xc0000005 error in RPCRT4.dll from soffice.bin
ubuysa
2012-12-12 10:21:44 UTC
Since installing Windows 8 I've been getting fairly regular 0xc0000005 errors
from module RPCRT4.dll caused by soffice.bin. A copy of a typical event log
entry is below. I have not yet been able to establish the actual
circumstances under which this error occurs but it's while using LibreOffice
Writer, the application hangs for several seconds with the disk activity
light on (presumably while a dump is written) and then all is well again.
There is no crash, just this unresponsive hang and the related error in the
event log, otherwise LibreOffice Writer works (apparently) perfectly.

I've had this problem with both 3.6.3 and now with 3.6.4 and it's only
appeared since I installed Windows 8 (32 bit). I understand that it might be
my problem (ie. caused by something else on my laptop) but I thought I'd see
whether this is a known issue?

Many thanks for looking.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 12/12/2012 10:56:09
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Faulting application name: soffice.bin, version: 3.6.4.3, time stamp:
0x50b62e37
Faulting module name: RPCRT4.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp:
0x50108bf5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00011a2c
Faulting process ID: 0x1764
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdd844381e5bca
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\LibreOffice
3.6\program\soffice.bin
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll
Report ID: c4fa1adf-4439-11e2-aff6-001b24703463
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>8685</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>ubuysa</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>soffice.bin</Data>
<Data>3.6.4.3</Data>
<Data>50b62e37</Data>
<Data>RPCRT4.dll</Data>
<Data>6.2.9200.16384</Data>
<Data>50108bf5</Data>
<Data>c0000005</Data>
<Data>00011a2c</Data>
<Data>1764</Data>
<Data>01cdd844381e5bca</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 3.6\program\soffice.bin</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll</Data>
<Data>c4fa1adf-4439-11e2-aff6-001b24703463</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Tom Davies
2012-12-12 13:53:37 UTC
Hi :)
It sounds weird.  Weird issues can often be solved by renaming your User Profile so that is the first thing to try.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/UserProfile
It does what you were trying to achieve through reinstall.  Reinstall is the old way used by old programs but now that most programs have more frequent upgrades and reinstalls they have generally moved to or are moving to this approach of keeping your configurations, settings, galleries, templates, Extensions and all the rest even when you reinstall the program.  With older programs you would typically spend ages trying to remember and then reconfigure a program after reinstalling.  With the newer style you just do the reinstall and magically find it behaving the way you set-up the previous version.

On the other hand this specific type of thing (involving dll files and report numbers) is one type of thing i would have tried the reinstall route 2nd.
Regards from
Date:          12/12/2012 10:56:09
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:        Error
User:          N/A
Computer:      ubuysa
0x50b62e37
ubuysa
2012-12-12 14:14:51 UTC
Thanks Tom. I must confess I didn't realise LO used a user profile, that will
teach me to look more carefully! I have reset the profile (renamed the old
folder) and LO seems to be behaving itself now, it's early days though ;)

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful answer.

ubuysa
2012-12-12 16:07:22 UTC
Sadly the user profile seems not to be the problem. With a refreshed profile
and no customisation at all I'm still getting this error. Since it doesn't
seem to be a known issue it's probably something unique to my laptop. I'll
do some more digging.

Thanks again.

Tom Davies
2012-12-12 16:22:05 UTC
Hi :)
It might be a known problem.  It might be worth trying to post a bug-report because part of the guide's process hopefully helps you quickly find similar reports that have been posted previously.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

Registering at the bug-reporting place is really not difficult even though people often grumble about having to sign up to yet another site.  Once registered then posting a bug-report is roughly the same as using a web-based email system to post an email.

If the guide asks you to post information that you don't know already then post anyway as you can add the extra information later.  Also the guide tries to cover all eventualities so some things it asks for might not be 100% necessary and the devs/triagers may ask for extra info anyway.  Generally it is best to post as much of what they ask for as you reasonably can but don't let that delay you from posting.

Hopefully someone from this list might have a much better idea of this specific problem and be able to give better help.

Good luck and regards from
Don C. Myers
2012-12-12 16:33:27 UTC
There are a lot of results if you do a Google Search:
0xc0000005 error in RPCRT4.dll from soffice.bin

Some are from this thread, and some are from prior incidents.

Don
Carl Paulsen
2012-12-12 17:10:28 UTC
LO = 3.5.6.2 for Mac OS 10.6
AutoCalculate is on

I'm trying to build a simple text concatenation (forumula is
=CONCATENATE("Dear ",Q2), though I also tried it as ="Dear " & Q2). The
formula only shows as the text of the formula, not the result of the
formula. Using the formula builder, it shows the correct result (in
this case, "Dear Kate and Marc." It's just that the result doesn't show
in the cell.

My Tools menu doesn't contain Options as a choice (not even grayed out),
so can't adjust that. Finally, when I export to csv, where I should be
able to see the formula results if they are being created, I can't even
open the resulting csv file with LO (or anything else I have on hand).

Any suggestions? Thanks!
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archiv
Brian Barker
2012-12-12 19:54:35 UTC
Post by Carl Paulsen
LO = 3.5.6.2 for Mac OS 10.6
AutoCalculate is on
I'm trying to build a simple text concatenation (formula is
=CONCATENATE("Dear ",Q2), though I also tried it as ="Dear " &
Q2). The formula only shows as the text of the formula, not the
result of the formula. Using the formula builder, it shows the
correct result (in this case, "Dear Kate and Marc." It's just that
the result doesn't show in the cell.
Remove the tick at Tools | Options...| LibreOffice Calc | View |
Display | Formulas.
Post by Carl Paulsen
My Tools menu doesn't contain Options as a choice (not even grayed
out), so can't adjust that.
Under Mac OS, this setting is at LibreOffice | Preferences |
LibreOffice Calc | View | Display | Formulas instead.
Post by Carl Paulsen
Finally, when I export to csv, where I should be able to see the
formula results if they are being created, I can't even open the
resulting csv file with LO (or anything else I have on hand).
A CSV file is plain text, so you can certainly open it as a
spreadsheet with LibreOffice Calc or as text with LibreOffice
Writer. Remember that when you save as CSV, only the active sheet is saved.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker
Tom Davies
2012-12-12 20:26:44 UTC
Hi :)
I think saving a spreadsheet as a Csv strips out the formulae and replaces them with whatever the answer happened to be at the moment of saving.

It's better to save an original version as Ods and then if you want other people to be able to edit and work with the sheet use

File - "Save As ... "

to save in Xls format (that's Microsoft Excel (97/2000/Xp)" (or soemthing like that).  Avoid using the XlsX (MS 2007 or 2010 or 365, as all 3 of those are slightly different from each other).

Regards from
Carl Paulsen
2012-12-12 21:31:58 UTC
Thanks, Tom.

Yep, I did save as ODS, then as CSV. And yes, I expect the formulas to
save in CSV as the value they were when saving. That's why I saved to
CSV in the first place. I wanted to see if the formulas were being
saved as the value and just not displaying that way. Unfortunately, I
wasn't able to open the saved CSV file.

See next post.

Carl
Post by Carl Paulsen
Finally, when I export to csv, where I should be able to see the formula results if they are being created, I can't even open the resulting csv file with LO (or anything else I have on hand).
A CSV file is plain text, so you can certainly open it as a spreadsheet with LibreOffice Calc or as text with LibreOffice Writer. Remember that when you save as CSV, only the active sheet is saved.
I trust this helps.
Brian Barker
Carl Paulsen

8 Hamilton Street

Dover, NH 03820

(603) 749-2310
Brian Barker
2012-12-12 20:45:00 UTC
Post by Carl Paulsen
I'm trying to build a simple text concatenation (formula is
=CONCATENATE("Dear ",Q2), though I also tried it as ="Dear " &
Q2). The formula only shows as the text of the formula, not the
result of the formula.
Another possible cause of this is formatting the cell as Text before
you enter the formula.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker
Carl Paulsen
2012-12-12 21:35:01 UTC
Thanks, Brian,

So I finally was able to open the CSV file after re-saving it a few
times. Not sure what that's about...

The CSV file has the proper values saved instead of the formulas, so it
appears it's just a display issue. I'll try to dig further to see what
might be going on. Restart the software or reboot the computer
sometimes helps these odd glitches.

Carl
--
Carl Paulsen

8 Hamilton Street

Dover, NH 03820

(603) 749-2310
Brian Barker
2012-12-12 22:21:56 UTC
Restart the software or reboot the computer sometimes helps these
odd glitches.
You mean that you didn't try this before asking your question?!

Brian Barker
Tom Davies
2012-12-13 06:39:32 UTC
Hi :)
Lol, +1

Even on Gnu&Linux distros (mainly Ubuntu ime tbh) it's a good plan to do a reboot to ensure that services that are normally on haven't been stopped temporarily without you really being aware of it.  Of course in Gnu&Linux you could restart individual processes in order to avoid any down-time at all but on a desktop or mobile machine a couple of minutes of downtime is unlikely to matter much.

Regards from
2012-12-13 12:25:38 UTC
It's not the downtime but rather all the work that's open that I have to
keep track of, decide how to save and then close. It's hard to explain
but given I work 3-4 different jobs at once and am working on new tools
that I don't know very well yet, I'm always reluctant to reboot.
Obviously I'll have to change that.

And I too can shut down processes individually on my Mac, but I don't
always know what ones apply to what programs. Sounds easier than it is...

I'm still wondering why it's happening, and why LO is now opening the
CSV files (no re-start or re-boot yet). In the latter case, obviously
re-starting or re-booting didn't matter. This is all a lot more
complicated that just re-booting.

Cheers,
Carl

Tom Davies
2012-12-13 12:54:30 UTC
Hi :)
Ahh, yes.  I don't know why i assumed you were using Windows.  It's a lot easier to reboot Windows because you can't open so many programs at the same time so there is  lot less to keep track of.  Also with Mac i think updates and even installing stuff seldom demands a reboot?

With Ubuntu there is some setting that allows you to make the start-up procedure open up everything that you had open when you shut-down.  There might be something similar on Mac but i don't know of good places to find out.  There must be forums or soemthing worth asking.

Apols and regards from
Carl Paulsen
2012-12-14 14:05:50 UTC
OK, having now rebooted, LO seems to be displaying the results of the
formulas again. That's a relief, and no doubt it's the reboot that
solved the issue. Wish I understood why such things happen, but in any
case, thanks for pushing me in that direction.
Post by Tom Davies
Also with Mac i think updates and even installing stuff seldom demands a reboot?
Correct. In some cases with OS updates, reboot is required, but not
usually. Mac may also have a way to re-open all the last work after a
shutdown, but I haven't looked into it yet (Safari browser does this, so
maybe Apple thought about it for the entire OS). I do hope to look into
Linux and the like one day...

Cheers,
Carl

Tom Davies
2012-12-14 14:26:56 UTC
Hi :)
Mac is based on Bsd which is unix-based and practically a brother or sister to Gnu&Linux anyway.  Sticking with Mac makes sense.  It gets you nearly all the way without having some of the painful bits.

Regards from
ubuysa
2012-12-14 09:22:56 UTC
Don,

Thanks for your suggestion, I did do a Google search before posting on here
and none of the replies were terribly helpful.

I have found a temporary solution; setting compatibility mode for
swriter.exe to Windows 7 removes the problem completely. I'm now wondering
whether LO 3.6 is truly Windows 8 ready?

Thank you everyone for helping.

Tom Davies
2012-12-14 13:00:28 UTC
Hi :)
Is anything Win8 ready?  MS Office 2010 and 2007 aren't.  With a new platform like that it usually takes a while for people to find work-arounds and even longer for the program to update to integrate better.  For MSO that will probably involve sitting out their newest version,  MSO 365 and then buy their next one (or rent as i'm not sure you can pay a one-off fee and then keep using 'forever' any more).
Regards from